What Causes Pipe Bursts?
Water Pipe Burst – Recognize the Signs
A 2021 study showed that pipes in Toronto waste an amount of water equal to filling 15,000 Olympic pools or supplying the daily demand of 250,000 people each year. For this reason, it’s extremely important to recognize the signs of a water pipe burst as soon as possible.
- Change in Water Pressure. A burst pipe can result in fluctuating water pressure in the house. It may seem like hardly any water comes out of the showerhead and then, suddenly, blasts all over the place.Brownish or Discolored Water. Sometimes, when water pipes burst, dirt, ground, and other contaminants can make it into your water, causing it to change colour. Or you have an undiscovered burst pipe that starts to rust. The small rust particles give a brownish tint to the water. This also creates space for bacterial breeding, which can impose severe health issues.
- Smelly Water. Water that smells like rotten eggs could indicate a sign of a burst pipe. This could be a symptom of a hydrogen sulphide leak, which is a naturally occurring gas in sewer lines. Leaking sewage can cause several health issues and should be inspected by professional plumbers right away.
- Dripping Noise Coming from the Walls. The sound of water in the walls is a clear sign of a broken pipe. This noise is different from the gurgling sound when the water pressure fluctuates.
- Mould Issues. A burst pipe causes excess moisture around the household. Sometimes, this can attract mildew or mould. Should you notice an excessive amount of any of the two, be sure to contact professional plumbers for inspection ASAP.
- Skyrocketing Water Bills. If your water bill has been skyrocketing for no apparent reason, there may be a leaking pipe somewhere in your plumbing system.
- Water Marks on the Wall. Watermarks on the wall could be a sign that there’s a burst or leaking pipe behind. Similar signs may include squishy parts on the wall or dampness.
Need Service? Call The Plumbing Experts
Folow the steps below to limit water damage, but first get in contact with our plumbers to schedule a plumber to come and help you resolve the burst pipe
Burst Water Pipe – What to Do
1. Shut Off Your Water
2. Shut Off Your Electricity
3. Identify the Burst Pipe
4. Document the Damage for Insurance Claim
5. Start the Clean Up
6. Call the Professionals
Need Pipe Burst Repair? Contact MT Drains
If you need a reliable and affordable pipe burst repair in the Toronto area, give us a call or schedule a visit ASAP.