Plumbing is a multi-million-dollar industry with thousands of people each specialized in a specific area of plumbing. If you’re searching for a plumber, you will find an almost endless list of options. However, not everyone is certified or experienced enough to do a particular job. So, how do you find a plumber you can trust when you are planning for your home improvement project? Follow these suggestions to guarantee you find a reputable and high-quality plumber.
Ask your family and friends
If you have family and friends that live close by, ask them if they know of any reliable and trustworthy plumbers. More often than that, your friends and family will be able to refer a few plumbers to you. It helps to ask people who you’re close to since they will ensure that the plumber doesn’t take advantage of you or doesn’t do a poor job.
Ask your neighbors
Reach out to your neighbors and ask them if they know of any trustworthy and experienced plumbers. Most likely, your neighbors will know of some plumbers to recommend or can suggest someone else that can help you. In addition to learning about plumbers this is a wonderful way to meet your neighbors.
Ask other service professionals for references
If you already have good relationships with other home service professionals, you can ask them if they know of any reputable plumbers. They won’t take the risk of harming their own reputation by recommending someone that they don’t truly believe in. Also, people in a similar field will be able to suggest plumbers who they know are experienced and very qualified.
Check the Better Business Bureau for any negatives
Once you have a few different options in mind, start gathering as much information as you can about the various plumbers. The Better Business Bureau (BBB) can tell you about any complaints or issues they may have had.
Check Out Online Reviews
Be cautious when reading reviews online. Some of the reviews may not be truly accurate and just because one person had a negative experience with a particular plumber, doesn’t mean you will too. You need to be skeptical and use your best judgment when researching reviews online. If a person has several bad reviews, however, that is a red flag and might be an indication they’re not a great plumber.
Explore plumber’s websites
While you are searching online for the different names and companies that you have compiled, go ahead and check out their websites. While their sites will almost always list all positive reviews, there may be some negative reviews as well.
Now, it’s time to talk.
At this point, you should have your list narrowed down to just a few reputable plumbers to consider, such as MT Drains & Plumbing. While you may already have a particular plumber in mind, it’s important to call each plumber and ask them some key questions:
- Ask them if they are licensed and insured.
- Each state has its own standards of certification for most professional services. Service professionals should be able to easily provide you with any necessary certifications. You’ll also want to make sure they are insured in case of any accidents. The last thing you want is to have someone uninsured working on your home. Any accidents would be your responsibility.
- Ask if they are willing to give a free estimate.
- A reliable service professional will invest this time in the attempt to establish a value-driven, trusting relationship with their customers.
- Do they sound professional?
- While you may not know the ins-and-outs of plumbing, you probably have a pretty good idea of the basics. If you’re having a pipe issue in your home, you should make sure that the plumber understands which pipe is best suited for your home. They should be knowledgeable about the differences between copper pipes and PEX pipes. If they can’t give you a detailed and clear response to your issue, then they might not a qualified plumber.
- Will they offer a guarantee on their work?
- You will want to know if they stand by their work. Any reputable plumbing company will offer a guarantee in writing.
- Pay attention to how eager the person is to get your business over the phone.
- Of course they want your business, but are they quoting you prices over the phone about things that you really think they need to see in order to quote accurately? If so, that should be a red flag because it means they may not be experienced.
- Feel free to ask them for references that you are able to contact.
- If they’ve earned the reputation that you are looking for, they will be able to give you a few references.
Follow your gut.
At the end of the day you need to trust your instincts and pick a person who seems trustworthy, experienced and reputable. You also need to choose someone who you feel comfortable around since this person will be in your home.
Compare quotes and make a decision
You should have at least three different quotes to compare. At this point, you have met a few potential candidates and should have a pretty good idea of your best option. It’s not always the right option to go with the lowest quote. Take everything into consideration and make the right decision based on your specific needs.
If you’re planning a home improvement project that requires plumbing or just looking for a high-quality and reputable plumber to help you with an issue around your home, these tips should make it easy for you to pick someone.