Why Is Your Hot Water Tank Leaking?
Malfunctioning Drain Valve
Temperature Pressure Relief Valve
How to Stop a Water Heater Leak
Step 1: Turn off the Power
Step 2: Shut off the Water
Step 3: Drain the Tank
- Find the main valve at the bottom of the tank and attach a hose to it.
- Find a sump pit and run the hose to it.
- When the hose is in place, open the drain valve (for older water heaters, it looks like a standard fixture; for newer ones, you’ll need a screwdriver to open the stem).
- If everything is okay, the water will start flowing.
- If there is a vacuum inside, the water won’t flow. In this case, you need to open any hot water faucet in the bathroom or kitchen and release the vacuum.
- When there is less pressure and vacuum, the tank should drain in 45-60 minutes.
How to Prevent Your Hot Water Tank from Leaking
Check Loose Parts
Clean and Drain Tank
MT Drains & Plumbing Solves Tank Leaks Quickly and Efficiently
We are the go-to plumbing company in Vaughan and the surrounding areas due to the excellent service we provide, the high-quality tools we use, and our competitive prices. There is no leak that we can’t handle!